The tasks of the Plant Gene Bank Council
The maintenance and protection of the genetic diversity is of crucial importance to the survival and adaptability of the species. The maintenance of the opportunities of improvement also involves economic interests. With respect to the domestic forest species there have been steps to conserve the genetic resources through nature conservation and propagation by seed (seed stands).
Today the rapid expansion of the genetic knowledge requires the comprehensive reevaluation of gene conservation and the development of an effective, long-term strategy of conservation to stop the erosion of the genetic resources of tree species. We also have to take into account that the significance of the plant genetic resources in the development of the biological bases of cultivation and its importance for basic and applied research is increasing.
In line with this concept, the Ministry of Agriculture established the Plant Gene Bank Council (PGBC) to organize and coordinate the activity of gene conservation according to international standards, develop the management of the domestic gene reserves and provide for an effective allocation of the state funds supporting gene conservation. PGBC has a role also in the clarification of legal issues concerning the maintenance of gene banks and conservation of genetic resources. The order Nr. 92/1997 of the minister of agriculture and regional development (“On the conservation and use of plant genetic materials”) defines the general task and status of PGBC.
The operational bodies of PGBC are the working committees. The committees of PGBC participate in the preparation, execution and control of decisions. The tasks of the work committees are:
- to facilitate and improve the technical conditions of gene conservation;
- to develop a uniform data record and information systems with specific regard to national and international data- and plant material exchange;
- to make proposals for the terms of application that provide for the distribution of research funds;
- to provide expert opinion on project proposals and support requests from the State Agricultural Fund;
- to seek for ways to decrease parallel activities in the field of gene conservation so that the decrease should not endanger the conservation and use of domestic gene sources.
[Back to Top]